"
The Zionist Conspiracy

A clandestine undertaking on behalf of Israel, the Jets and the Jews.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Sunday, February 20, 2005
 
Friday Night Miracle On Ice

In honor of the game's 25th anniversary, which falls on Tuesday, ESPN just ran an abridged version of the USA's victory over the USSR in the 1980 Winter Olympics.

I was in second grade at the time, and a severe virus caused me to miss about three weeks of school, allowing me to watch the entire Olympics. I have a pretty good memory of the hockey team's run - including the Sunday morning gold medal comeback victory over Finland - as well as of speedskater Eric Heiden's five gold medals.

I did not see the victory over the Soviets. It was on Friday night, and I found out about the win on shabbos morning when the New York Times was delivered.

Over the years, when the subject came up, I've heard some frum people speak of remembering the victory over the Soviets, about how they'll never forget watching the game. I'm sure these people didn't watch on shabbos, and since they lived on the East Coast, it simply was impossible for them to have seen the game.