"
The Zionist Conspiracy

A clandestine undertaking on behalf of Israel, the Jets and the Jews.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, February 07, 2005
 
Modern Orthodoxy and the Divinity of the Torah

Luke Ford had a very interesting interview last week with novelist Tova Mirvis. Mirvis was criticized by Wendy Shalit in Shalit's Times Book Review piece last Sunday, and responded in the Forward.

Luke is a superb interviewer, and successfully lulled Mirvis into a discussion of her personal beliefs. She told Ford:

"I am an Orthodox Jew. I've been part of a Modern Orthodox community my entire life. I went to [Jewish] day school, yeshiva high school [Orthodox], spent a year studying in a yeshiva in Israel. I've davened every week in an Orthodox shul and I send my kids to an Orthodox day school."

Later, she and Ford had this exchange:

Luke: "Do you believe in God?"

Tova: "Yes."

Luke: "Do you believe God gave the Torah?"

Tova: "I do. I think it's more complicated... I don't believe in the fundamentalist notion that he wrote it down and handed it off but I believe in an evolving dynamic chain of tradition. It has formed my life. It is complicated. I would guess that I don't believe in it in the same terms that Wendy Shalit does."

Luke: "How about in the terms that Maimonidies formulates in his eighth of thirteen required beliefs [the Jewish prayer Yigdal, which translated into English reads: 'I believe with complete faith that the entire Torah now in our hands is the same one that was given to Moses, our teacher, peace be upon him.']"

Tova: "Remind me."

Luke: "That the Torah is divine. That every word of it is divine. And if a person was to say that a single word in the Torah is not divine, that that is outside permitted belief."

Tova: "I don't know. That's a good question. Part of my Orthodoxy is that you don't have to know all the answers. I don't know. It's a good question."


I am sure that if asked, many people who identify as modern Orthodox would answer Luke's question about whether G-d gave the Torah in a manner similar to Mirvis' response. They certainly do not see themselves as holding heretical beliefs; most simply have never given serious thought to the issue, and would give an answer that sounds moderate.

At the same time, while there have been and likely are today a few rabbis who accept some form of biblical criticism, I believe that there is little theological difference among the large majority of contemporary Orthodox rabbis - ranging from Satmar to Edah - on the subject, with all sectors of Orthodoxy affirming the Torah's absolute divine origin.

I don't know what the implications of this are, though I suppose that for one thing, it's that many modern Orthodox Jews who recite the Yigdal prayer every morning do not believe in the contents of that prayer.