"
The Zionist Conspiracy

A clandestine undertaking on behalf of Israel, the Jets and the Jews.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Tuesday, March 01, 2005
 
Ian Eagle

From its inception on July 1, 1987 until about a decade later, I was a WFAN junkie, listening often to the world's first 24 hour sports radio station. Since late '97, I've been working and haven't listened to FAN more than occasionally.

My favorite WFAN figures were the young kids right out of college. Steve Levy - now of ESPN - and current Nets play-by-play announcer Ian Eagle are among this group. While I certainly didn't know Levy or Eagle well, when I had press access to games in the early 90's, I did meet and talk some sports with them, and both came across as affable and down to earth, unlike some other WFAN figures.

For a number of years, Eagle has been the Nets announcer, and he has gotten better and better. He's certainly one the best announcers in sports, and at 36, should remain with the Nets for decades to come.

Yesterday, however, Nets owner Bruce Ratner confirmed rumors that Eagle will be demoted to part-time duty in favor of legendary announcer Marv Albert. Albert will call about 50 Nets games, Eagle the rest.

I can understand the interest in hiring a well-known figure like Marv Albert and won't lambast Ratner over the move, but it's a bad idea. The Nets need to create their own identity, which will come by winning. Eagle should have had the chance to spend decades with the Nets, just like Albert spent decades calling Knicks games.

In today's New York Times, Ratner is quoted as saying, "I hope Marv is with us as long as there's a franchise." Albert is 63 years old; assuming he stays in excellent health and announces until he is 100, does that mean that the Nets franchise will fold in 37 years?

In any event, the Nets' foolishness is an opportunity for WFAN. I read and am told that the station's 10-1 slot - the one between Imus and Russo/Francesa - remains awful. That slot has changed hosts more often that the Mets change their 3rd baseman. I would propose that FAN hire Eagle to host that slot.

Getting back to Ratner, he is clearly trying to atone for the dismantling of the team last summer. It may take years to undo the damage of taking apart a championship contender. The Vince Carter trade was a step in the right direction, though perhaps had the Nets been patient, they could have obtained Chris Webber with a similar package.

In any event, I am going to tone down my anti-Ratner rhetoric for now, but will continue my boycott of Nets home games, a boycott that, in a year without any hockey, has caused me to attend only one Nets game (a road win vs. the Knicks at MSG) and left me with terrible sports withdrawal. If circumstances change, I will reconsider that boycott, but we'll have to wait and see what the Nets do this offseason to improve their inadequate frontcourt.