"
The Zionist Conspiracy

A clandestine undertaking on behalf of Israel, the Jets and the Jews.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, May 01, 2006
 
My Yom Haatzmaut Confusion

When it comes to religion and Zionism, I have no real mesorah (religious tradition) or minhag (religious custom) that I can follow.

Years ago, I came to the conclusion that the charedi world's view toward Zionism is outdated and has little practical relevance today. I also came to the conclusion that Zionism and the State of Israel were and are good things for the Jewish people.

I therefore began saying Hallel on Yom Haatzmaut, usually quietly by myself in Boro Park shuls during the recitation of the amidah prayer. Some years, I said hallel in a fervently anti-Zionist chasidic shul at which I often attended morning services.

After a while, I started saying hallel but without the blessings. Then, I stopped saying it altogether, for two reasons. First, because I became aware of Rav Soloveitchik's position on the matter, and secondly, because the more I knew about the theology of religious Zionism, the more I felt that theology to be no less outdated and impractical as the charedi view toward Zionism and Israel.

As I see it, Israel is a good thing from both a secular perspective and from a religious perspective, and that's enough. It does not necessarily have any relevance to the beginning of a redemptive messianic era. So I'm religiously observant and a Zionist, but not a "religious Zionist."

I therefore won't be attending the Yom Haatzmaut service in Forest Hills tomorrow night, which at least to me includes too much of the messianic aspect of religious Zionism, and I won't recite hallel on Wednesday morning. I will certainly be observing the 58th anniversary of the formation of the State of Israel, but my observance of Yom Haatzmaut will be done privately in my own way.