"
The Zionist Conspiracy

A clandestine undertaking on behalf of Israel, the Jets and the Jews.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Thursday, October 12, 2006
 
Thurman Munson

The airplane crash that killed Cory Lidle is a reminder of Thurman Munson's death in a 1979 accident. The following was posted on August 2, 2004, the 25th anniversary of Munson's death:

My family spent the summer of 1979 in Israel. At six years old, I already didn't like the Yankees. In addition to the Mets, I also liked the Cubs, because they were the Mets' main competition for last place and because I liked Wrigley Field. Bill Buckner was my favorite player.

Perhaps because it was my first understanding of death, I vividly remember - or at least think I do - the death of Thurman Munson from a plane crash on August 2, 2004, 25 years old today. It is possible that I'm wrong about all of this, but I am pretty sure it was on Tisha B'av, that it was a Thursday, and that my father was hospitalized that day with a kidney stone. I remember reading extensive reports about Munson in The Jerusalem Post the next morning, and listening to the Yankees game and an emotional pre-game memorial the next day, presumably on a Voice of America station. My recollection is that the Yankees played the Orioles and lost, and that the game was on a Friday night.