The Zionist Conspiracy
Sunday, October 14, 2007
1. Once again, the Jets' coaching staff put in an atrocious performance.
Despite the success running the ball, throughout the game, even on 3rd and 2 or 3, the Jets utilized the shotgun rather than the playaction pass. If Chad Pennnington is the QB, why does Brian Schottenheimer continue to eliminate the playaction from his playbook?
2. Schottenheimer's playcalls on the Jets' final drive were particularly awful. The quarterback sneak on 3rd and 1 was bad enough, as was the fade route on 4th down and 1. The use of the shotgun on 4th down was idiotic. The Eagles knew a pass was coming. A run was probably the better call, but if the Jets really wanted to pass, playaction was clearly the way to go.
3. It appeared that the coaching staff did not have much confidence in Pennington today, essentially keeping him a short leash and hoping he could manage the game to a close win. There were far too few downfield passes, even the 15 yard routes that Pennington excels in were rare.
If indeed the coaching staff has little confidence in Pennington, they must switch now to Kellen Clemens. If Pennington remains the QB, Schotteheimer should review film of Jets games in 2002, 2003 and 2004, and watch how former offensive coordinator Paul Hackett utilized Pennington.
4. The missed tackle by Andre Dyson and Eric Smith on the game's only touchdown was inexcusable.
5. With the season already essentially over, I do not know whether I will continue to regularly post my thoughts following Jets games. I'm about to go into another very busy stretch at work, and blogging will therefore be very light for approximately the next two months.